06 May 2010


This may well be The Alliance of "Dog Mommies", as TheSecretary of TheAnimalDoctor calls it. This is actually an impromptu lunch meet arranged by TheSecretary yesterday. I got the text message a day earlier asking for my available schedule and immediately I texted back that I would be in Makati the following day and will be free for lunch. That sounded the call and everything fell into place! So on that hot but glorious day, I finally met my dogs' hooman friends: Happy (aka TheSecretary and one of the hooman gurlfriends of my dog Sweepy ;-0!), Irene (the still grieving "Mom" of Charlie who passed away recently), and Ria (the wind beneath the wings of the Piappies world!) . . .
So what do dog owners and dog lovers discuss on a lunch date? Dogs, animals, and all things quirky and unreasonable that we do for our beloved furry friends. It was a looooong lunch gab fest (all of two hours! and considering that we were discussing our dogs only!) but not enough since some of them have jobs to return to after a long "lunch break" and some to return to "empty spaces" left by Bogart (my dog) and Charlie (Irene's). I am just comforted that I still have Sweepy and Sumo who were super excited about my stories and busy sniffing some gifts given to them! I never for a moment understood how I can actually have the courage and time to do this, fit a meeting into my loaded schedule. Earlier that day I conducted two workshops for kids ages 3 to 10, and continued my interview of a 101-year-old woman who did rosemaling and re-scheduled appointments and work for the week! This week I actually postponed and missed important art events and pending cultural reports, etc. but when Happy called I was suddenly available! What I do know and what I really look forward to, is our next meeting, possibly one weekend (to assure a more relaxed and LONGER time, haha!) in one of the homes (so we can interact and include the dogs!) . . .

Now, if I can only carry Sweepy in a bag and lug all his stuff with me like a backpack, I'm off and ready for my next meeting with "dog mommies" . . . .

No comments: