21 May 2011

Red Powder Puff


Who knows what this small berry-like buds in my hands will turn into?


It forms into small needle-like red puff flowers!


That can fill the whole place on a hot day!


I googled and found that it is also called Calliandra Haematocephala from the Mimosa family. This lively bush is found in the garden of my student which I featured before. It has no scent.

And when it fades . . .

. . . it fades as quietly as it came.

For the TodaysFlowers team of Luiz, Denise, Laerte and Sandy:


And . . .
This week I found to my great surprise that Maia is back at:
Macro Flowers Saturday badge 3
Poor Maia got sick from taking pictures outdoors (there are ticks and stuff that you can pick from the plants which can make you sick!) and after weeks of antibiotics another tick got into her! This could well be a real threat for me as well since I stay outdoors a lot. I clean and water the plants and dogs and since I conduct art workshops in situ (on site) which are sometimes located on open spaces and gardens where I can pick up ticks (so small but bites viciously enough to make you sick!) . . . I just hope that the natural insect repellant spray I use is helpful. Please take precautionary measures even in natural settings.

10 comments:

Jama said...

Lots of them here in our parks too, they need lots of sunshine.

SquirrelQueen said...

The Red Powder Puffs are so pretty, they almost look magical.

It is good to take precautions in the out of doors.

Joanne Olivieri said...

How small those buds can be. It almost resembles bottle brush. Very vibrant colors. Nice shots.

Carletta said...

I imagine them to be fairy dusters. :)
Lovely images Lui!
I live surrounded by acres of woods so we always have to be careful outdoors.

Maia said...

These red flowering bushes must be a lovely sight in gardens. Very exotic looking flowers, unfortunately we don't have them.
Good to have you back and to be back.
I was missing all these beautiful flowers from all over the world.

I just woke up, so I come late with my answer: no there is no known protection for ticks. There was a vaccine some years back but it was withdrawn, probably not effective.

Take good care, now is their main period.

Viola said...

Very lovely Red Powder Puffs!! I've never seen them before.. :)

Best wishes for the weekend!
Hugs.. :)

Cecilia Artista said...

I like this Red Powder Puff! It´s very common in the southern Spain also!

Pat said...

These are beautiful, delicate-looking flowers...sort of shaped like a cosmetic brush.

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

noone knows to photograph flowers in the hands like u and i love it
congrats
nice week, Lui
http://graceolsson.com/blog/2011/05/measure-of-life/

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely photos Lui, so sorry Maia got sick because of the ticks. We have that problem here too.