25 January 2010

Animals like dogs are great companions. They build a bond with the owner for a lifetime relationship. Once that bond is established, the animal remain trusting and depend on their human companion for life. Thus, when people realized too late that they can not keep their part of the bargain in this relationship, they abandon their animals to wander on their own, or leave them somewhere to fend for themselves. When this happen, the animals remain trusting, waiting and hoping for their human friend to come back for them. And most of the time, there is no end to this waiting.

I see a lot of waiting eyes all the time. . . those wandering dogs on the street who seem to be looking for somebody. . . . or sad eyes in rescue or rehabilitation centers hoping that the visitor who enters is somebody familiar . . . . Sometimes, when they're lucky, some kind hearted soul will stop and befriend them, feed them, or become so concerned enough to take them into their arms and a new home. I've known a lot of kind-hearted souls like that and I met a lot of lucky animals adopted by these people too. But the unlucky ones far outweighs the number of those rescued and adopted.

My dog Sweepy in the picture is into an advocacy for responsible ownership of animals like dogs. It is, after all, Sweepy who would constantly call my attention to animals in pain. I hear Sweepy calling out to me for help, even for dogs inside homes that are suppose to care for them. I ignored warnings and risked a lot confronting abusive owners and citing laws on animal welfare. But advocacy work must be tempered with reason and at times, this stupid caution, this warning in my head has prevented me from doing more. I feel for Sweepy's advocacy especially at a time when so many animals need help. And I admit I can only do so much, but not enough . . .

Ownership of animals is a big responsibility much like having your own family. If you can not afford to have an animal in your life, have the decency not to have one instead of adding more to the statistics of abandoned or abused animals. But if you can spare a space in your life and in your heart, please take the time to visit a shelter, donate stuff they need or volunteer your time or consider saving that poor, homeless creature on the streets, and believe me, the rewards will be greater than you ever imagined. . .

1 comment:

Viola said...

Wice words! Your dog is so lovely! :) I think he/she is happy having you as a "mother" :) Your dog looks so kind as well. I'm sad to hear about lost dogs living in the streets. We should be more clever to take hand and care about both dogs and cats. And animals in general. And people..
But as you say, the dog is the man's best friend (or the woman's best friend :)).The dog is waiting for his/her friend and life partner, owner, to come back.. Which maybe will never happen.. Sad.. I hope you are doing fine, you and your dog! :)