25 August 2010

Red Tuesday

I am posting late because we are in mourning since Monday. I came home that day with the news of an ex-cop who took hostage a bus full of tourists from Hongkong. We were glued to the TV watching in horror, dismay, and utter helplessness, the way the incident was covered by television, until the tragic ending that left several people dead including the hostage taker. The unnecessary drama of it all, the helplessness of a man to take drastic action that he knew would never solve his dilemma, the spectacle of reputable journalists relegated to mere reporters eager to get the best angle and stories unmindful of lives threatened by their irresponsible reportage, the assault team displaying their lack of skill and expertise, the unruly bystanders, the utter senselessness of it all does not do justice to the many victims of this tragedy. . . . I offer our prayers to the spirits and wailing souls of those who died and our condolence to the families of the innocent victims whose death we mourn until now. . . .The red petal of the Desert Rose has died and fell and will never be whole again! This is my sad entry for Ruby Tuesday . . .

1 comment:

maryt/theteach said...

Lui, a very sympathetic post on your part. Elaine Ling told me about the hostage-taking and shooting and I'm very sorry. I feel with you. Thank you for posting this on Ruby Tuesday!