15 October 2011

The Singing White Diva!

My sister Luchie refer to her as Camia but I was not sure because Luchie can sometimes get the names wrong so I checked it out. I found out Luchie was right all along. This beauty is indeed called Camia and is also known as White Ginger.
They said Camia is a fragrant flower and I tried to sniff its scent but its shrilling voice is distracting me. Yes I hear the sounds of plants because my dogs taught me to hear sounds in nature. Obviously, Camia is a soprano and the dogs, pretty sensitive about sounds, rush past her every time she sings! I kissed Camia goodbye as I rolled my eyes from her shrill music amused that this is probably how my dogs feel when I sing to them too. Sigh.
Luchie planted Camia on the east side of our small property with very little sun blocked by the two huge trees Chicky (chico tree) and Yvon (avocado tree) and pretty much cuddled by other plants to protect her from playful and clumsy dogs, the neighbor's cats and curious keeper (me!)
Camia is a delicate plant. It grows long and tall and showy. Luchie said it needs plenty of water and since we had rains almost every day this must be the reason it is blooming now. A tropical depression 'Ramon' threatened to pass but weakened as it hit our islands and should be out by this weekend.
Camia is my tribute to my cousin Elle who lives in San Francisco, USA. Elle is actually a niece but since I grew up with her brood who are also my age (they spent summers in our Makati house from Cebu) that we felt more like cousins and refer to each other as one. Elle's late mom Norma was more of Luchie's age. And Norma's mom Tiya Menchiang is my Papa's sister. Tiya Menchiang is now in her 90s and still enjoying herself abroad together with my other relatives.
. . . the scent of summers past. . .
the lovely letters and photographs . . .
memories that cling like the dew on Camia
. . . forever etched in my memory . . .
Happy Birthday Elle!
Memories connect us to the wonders of the past. I recently reminded somebody to learn the real meaning of attachment. You see he collects stuff as souvenirs to remind him of the people who gave it to him. Although there is nothing wrong about doing that I told him that special memories are stored in our mind and heart which can never be deleted except probably by forgetfulness in old age. This is a helpful reminder especially when we attach and accumulate so much stuff which now pose grave danger when we are experiencing storm surges and flash floods that can easily wipe out objects and properties not to mention human lives.
And since I have a huge collection of junks (empty bottles, used papers, cartons, stones, etc.) which I use for creative work I have this urgent need to use them now . . . to create and fashion them into functional pieces of art so I can let go of brewing ideas and share them with others . . .
. . . to do the things that must be done before time and nature dictate the phase in my creative life. Before they demand I let go too . . . and keep in my heart the lasting things that really matters. . . At sunset yesterday I had a quiet time with Camia and finally breathed her giddy fragrant scent!
I wish you all have a special, safe and fun weekend everybody!

For Maia, Luiz, Laerte, Sandy, and Denise:
Macro Flowers Saturday badge 1

10 comments:

metanoia said...

an amazing & so beautiful flower :D

Maia T said...

I always enjoy watching these exotic flowers. They look so delicate and pure, hard for me to imagine that those strange roots in the supermarket have such lovely flowers.
Beautiful weekend to you too, Lui.

Tina´s PicStory said...

white beauty - wonderful :)

Jama said...

They are so pretty!

Kim, USA said...

Love your photos and Camia for me is rare. I haven't seen this flower much when I was in the Philippines I so agree that this flower is delicate. ^_^

Mums

Joyful said...

Very post. I loved your photos too!

Joanne Olivieri said...

I love these flowers and especially the way you have captured them. They are very fragrant and beautiful. Love your title too :)

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Lui, I was a little late entering your beautiful flowers but they are there now. I am still away from home and internet access has been limited but I am thankful I could get on line this morning. Your white blooms are gorgeous and are what I need this morning to start my day. Thank you so much my dear friend, and have a great week.

Al said...

I have camia in the garden and they seldom bloom, but when they do, the garden smells so sweet!

Btw nice header!

Pat said...

The Camia flowers are lovely! I haven't seen them before. I hope you and your house and belongings are spared from flooding.