14 July 2010




Skywatch Basyang. It was this cloudy, rainy Tuesday when I left for my art workshop and the weather bureau announced a coming storm named Basyang heading northern Luzon that evening. Since I live on the south side I felt safe. And so on Tuesday night, I went to bed early, but I remembered suddenly warning the dogs that there is a storm coming. At past 10 PM, I woke up to the stillness of the night. I got scared sensing something was wrong but I did not know what it is. So I got up from bed and surveyed the house. The dogs whined when they saw me. And then I heard this scary noise like hundreds of horses pounding down our house! The dogs barked! And I remembered that sound before. It was the sound that animals can "sense" around them and I know what it meant. I looked around and before long, the howling winds came pounding down our house. I rushed back to the house and roused my sleeping sister Luchie and told her: "The storm is coming our way!" My sister and I rushed securing things around the house. Hanging plants, chimes, clothes, etc. were brought down to avoid the strong winds. Dog houses were covered in tarps (and this even when the dog kennels are located in a covered carport), light furniture moved to secure location, windows were closed tight, candles and flashlights were produced and we watched in horror as slashing wind went in all direction. I prayed for Meralco (the power company) to shut down power. I prayed for us.

Storm Basyang passed Manila and hit southern Luzon from Tuesday night to Wednesday morning at dawn. We lost electric power for 21 hours the whole of Wednesday (starting at midnight to 9 PM) and since our water is supplied by electric pump, we lost our water supply as well. The telephone lines were dead and the batteries of our mobile phones were conking out. Heaven was down but not out.

By mid-morning, the sky was calm and the sun peered at us. I huddled with my dogs all Wednesday, in between cleaning the mess of the storm (fallen leaves and heaps of garbage!), cleaning the fridge and making a big pot of adobo (the frozen chicken in the freezer had to be sauteed in soy sauce, oil and vinegar to make it last and not get spoiled) and thankful that even with the storm, we had enough clean drinking water and water for cleaning and a refreshing bath, we had a battery-operated transistor radio to keep us updated, we had supportive neighbors ready to help and be helped, and our loved ones safe and comfy in our arms. But, most of all, I was thankful to trust my natural instincts and my dogs, enough to secure ourselves even when our very own weather guys and sophisticated machinery continue to fail us.

Our earth is changing and healing itself. And the only way it can properly do that is to detoxify itself the hard way. And all of us living in it can survive this process by being one in its healing: purify and remove the toxins in our body as well as in the land and in the air so we can help renew and revitalize new growths . . . . In the meantime, we will have more storms to clear the air and the blocked energies, more earthquakes to expel gas, floods caused by our blocked dirty pathways but which, in turn, helps clean the blocked cemented earth, and dry spell to steam clogged energy fields. But once this process is completed, we will have a new earth. Trust me and the animals . . . . We survived Basyang and other calamities that way . . .

No comments: